Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Mountain Rat-Race & RRR 100 Previews


-THE MOUNTAIN RAT-RACE-

Our travels.  
Here is a chronological listing of places or areas where we spent a significant amount of time over the last 4 months of travel:  

-Los Alamos, New Mexico
-Flagstaff, Arizona
-Durango, Colorado
-Silverton, Colorado
-Lake City, Colorado
-Ouray, Colorado
-Telluride, Colorado
-Grand Canyon National Park
-Banff National Park, Canada
-Lake Louise, Canada
-Jasper National Park
-Bozeman Montana
-Missoula Montana
-Flathead Valley Montana
-Glacier National Park
-Seattle, Washington
-Squamish, British Columbia
-Whistler, British Columbia
-Grand Teton National Park

Preparing for our long adventure I thought I would have formed some definite favorite, or a place that I considered “the best”, but that “best” was never realized.  We have visited a few places that after we left, we both felt we had seen what we wanted, but the overwhelming majority of our 4 months has been spent in a paradise where we felt hungry to spend more time.  The details of how nice the weather was, the costs of visiting, rather the surrounding towns were to our liking, or rather or not we saw the “best” of the area, were really just part of the adventure and in the end, being in the mountainous alpine environment always satisfied, entertained and was all together a fulfilling experience… with challenges. 


Our time has indeed been spent in the most amazing parts of North America’s mountains.  A wonderful aspect of North American’s mountains is it’s unbelievable diversity.  As I look at Mount Elbert right now, I truly enjoy looking at it, camping by it and playing around and on it.  It doesn’t have to have a massive glacier, huge cedars, a giant creek with waterfalls, a nearly un-climbable face, a small town with only the “coolest”, progressive, like minded residence close by, or any other particular component that other mountains have had that we have visited before or that we have heard of having.

Instead of coming to a grand conclusion on the “best” mountains and surrounding community, I believe we have developed a great appreciation and ability to enjoy the mountain environment that we and especially I, really didn’t have before.
Cheesy as can be picture of Mike Devloo and I enjoying a simple mountain view

 I have directed nearly all of my energy, time, passion and money over the last 9 years, outside of work, towards being in the mountains.  Over those 9 years I was driven to conquer, to see, to find and do the “best”.  Not always, but often, I was rushed, frantic and a model weekend warrior.  Without thinking about it, I was often competing with both myself and others, to reach some upper echelon of mountainous accomplishment.  Highest peaks climbed, most and best Class V paddled, most international mountains visited, deepest and steepest powder skied and cliffs sent, best mountain photos and now in the last year and a half, running on the “best”, wildest, steepest and scenic mountains was a serious underlying motive.  Can one overcome this as a weekend warrior, absolutely, but I struggled to diverge from the mountain rat race. 

I can’t honestly say I no longer play in the mountain rat race, in fact, I know I will get caught up in it at times, but these last 4 months have really been a much-needed therapy.       
Taking a 30 footer... OK, 25 footer 

-RUN RABBIT RUN 100-

Here are a few previews for the Run Rabbit Run 100 that takes place this Friday at 1pm in Steamboat... my first 100 miler (yeah, I'm scared):

Karl Meltzer's Preview
http://karlmeltzer.com/2012/09/the-big-money-run-has-arrived/

Irunfar.com / Bryon Powell's Preview
http://www.irunfar.com/2012/09/2012-run-rabbit-run-100-preview.html

I would be extremely happy to live up to these predictions.  As I told Karl, I feel like I'm signed up for a  Nordic Skiing race or some other event I have no clue about. The 100 is certainly a new frontier that I am anxious to explore.  1st goal is to finish the race.   

3 comments:

  1. Epic, after reading I feel the excitement like I heard a report from the first lunar expedition

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to do Kayak. It is a great sports but it is quite dangerous and awful. I am looking forward to do it price per head service community.

    ReplyDelete