Sunday, October 30, 2011

Weekly Summary for 10/24-10/30

Having computer issues, so I'm putting up old pics.  "Colorado Rocky Mountain High"

Week four of focused training.  Goals were to first stay patient (not up intensity or mileage too quickly and to listen to my body), maintain about the same mileage, increase weekly climbing and down-hill running and also change Tuesday’s tempo workout to a longer easy day with some speed work.      

Monday, Morning  Easy Run 
Comments 2 miles up at 5%, 525 ft of climbing, 2 miles down at -3%. One loop oustide for 5.85 miles. I took it slow on the treadmill, felt good outside, but my legs were sore from yesterday.
Total distance 10 Miles in 1:18:00 [7:48 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country
Average HR  132 bpm 

Tuesday, Morning  Speed Training 
Hit the treadmill for 2 miles up at 6% for 660ft of climbing and 2 mile at -3%. I was pretty tired.
Hit the dirt for a warm up and general mobility followed by 8 x 200 meter repeats at around 4:40 mile pace with a 600 meter recovery jog.
This speed workout was a little more challenging than I expected/planned on, but it did the job.
Total distance 12.05 Miles in 1:35:00 [7:53 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country
Difficulty Somewhat Difficult [Rating: 6]

Tuesday, Afternoon  Easy Run 
Easy run outside. 128 Av Hr
Total distance 4.07 Miles in 32:00 [7:51 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country
Average HR  128 bpm 

Wednesday, Afternoon  Normal Run 
Couldn't sleep well, got out of bed early (3:30) to possibly take advantage of "unbelievable" deal on a camper for next year’s North American mountain tour. Ended up being a total scam. Slept in and crammed my run at lunch. Feeling OK.
Total distance 10.02 Miles in 1:15:00 [7:29 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country
Average HR  142 bpm 
The day and place I decided I wanted to marry Maggie

Thursday, Morning  Hill Training 
After my warm up outside in the dark, I was on the treadmill for my hard effort hill workout.
Today my goal was to set a new best on my 30 minute level 15 session. Week 1 I went 4.16 miles (slightly less climbing), and 4.11 miles last week.
Total climbing is about 1,600ft and my pace is around 8.3 MPH/7:15 minute miles.
I started the workout running 8.4 MPH. Running low 7 pace at 7%+ grade is exciting. I held the pace until my second of the steeps intervals clocking in at 11.3%. I went pretty much max effort trying to keep pace and had to slow down to 8.3MPH for the last 4 minutes. I did manage to set a new record of 4.18 miles today!
I did the standard 2 miles at around 6:30 minute mile pace at -3% afterwards. Av HR for the 6.18 mile workout was 164, max 180!!
I was dragging all morning after this workout.
Total distance 10.31 Miles in 1:17:00 [7:28 per mile] 
Terrain Treadmill
Difficulty Hard [Rating: 9]
Average HR  164 bpm 

Thursday, Afternoon  Easy Run 
Couldn't go back to the treadmill, had a nice run outside. I felt way better than I thought I would despite the slow pace.
Total distance 4.04 Miles in 31:00 [7:40 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country

Friday, Morning  Easy Run 
Easy run 2M up at 6% for 660ft climbing, 2M down at -3% followed by a 5.63 mile loop around the base. 132 Av Hr
Total distance 9.74 Miles in 1:16:00 [7:48 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country
Average HR  132 bpm 

Friday, Afternoon  Easy Run
Comments Rushed this second run after cramming lunch down in 25 minutes, so I could enjoy a few hours relaxing this afternoon.
Total distance 4.03 Miles in 31:00 [7:41 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country
Average HR  137 bpm 

Saturday, Morning  Easy Run 
2 miles up at 6%, 2 miles down at -3%. One loop around base. Wasn't digging the treadmill, but enjoyed the nice cool loop around base.
660ft climbing.
Total distance 10 Miles in 1:17:00 [7:42 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country
Average HR  133 bpm 

Sunday, Morning  Long Run 
Slept well and woke up ready to run. Jogged over to the gym for 3.5 miles of climbing at 7.5% grade, then 2.3 miles at -3% grade. I ran 2 loops around the base in the dirt feeling better than ever with a few miles at sub 7:00 mile pace. Inside again for 2 miles up at 7.5%, down 1 at -3% then one more loop, feeling great and hitiing sub 7:00 mile pace around the base to finish the 27 mile long run. 2178ft total climbing with a 147 Av Hr.  I drank 60oz of EFS mixed water containing around 500 calories. This was the best I've felt on a long run yet. Could have certailny ran this pace with another 2k of climbing for another 23 miles.

Total distance 27.04 Miles in 3:20:00 [7:23 per mile] 
Terrain X-Country
Average HR  147 bpm 
South Platte River, Bailey to Pine with Bones

Synopsis

Awesome, awesome week.  Tuesday was more than I expected with the 200 repeats and Thursday was down-right brutal, but I ended up bouncing back for the best long run since I’ve been in Iraq (I know, last week I said this too).  With the exception to the last two, I’ve always been spent at the end of my long runs, that includes last year and with marathon training.  I like feeling OK at the end of the long run.  
I logged almost 7K of climbing and broke into the hundred mile range WITHOUT running myself down and keeping the make-up of the week where I want it.  I am a little nervous on how I should approach the next two months.  Not sure if I should take an easier week this or next week, or just keep on trucking and pay attention to how I feel.  I am in the best Ultra shape that I’ve ever been in and I’ve managed to keep injury free (flat desert and the treadmill vs steep mountain running) since late spring.  Very excited to put the body to the test at a race this winter…. 


Summary
101 Miles
6,948 Feet Climbing
12 Hours and 52 Minutes of Running


No comments:

Post a Comment